- More barnfind fever imminent – you know what they cost to restore – you know it won’t be viable but…..romance of rust will doubtless prevail…
Offered At British Heritage, Classic and Sports Cars, Sandown Park: 13/06/2017 at 13:00
Auction lot details: Jaguar Model: XK140
First Registered:1 October 1955
Registration No: 901ENO
Chassis No: 804222DN
The XK140 was introduced in late 1954 and sold as a 1955 model. Exterior changes that distinguished it from the XK120 included more substantial front and rear bumpers with over riders, and indicators. The grille remained the same size but became a one-piece cast unit with fewer, and broader, vertical bars. The Jaguar badge was incorporated into the grille surround. A chrome trim strip ran along the centre of the bonnet and boot lid.
The interior was made more comfortable for taller drivers by moving the engine, firewall and dash forward to give 3 inches more legroom. Two 6-volt in batteries Fixed Head Coupe, but Drop Heads and the Open Two Seater had a single 12-volt battery. The XK140 was powered by the Jaguar XK engine with the Special Equipment modifications from the XK120, which raised the specified power by 10 bhp to 190 bhp gross at 5500 rpm, as standard. The C-Type cylinder head, carried over from the XK120 catalogue, and producing 210 bhp gross at 5750 rpm, was optional equipment. In 1956 the XK140 became the first Jaguar sports car to be offered with automatic transmission. As with the XK120, wire wheels and dual exhausts were options. Cars with the standard disc wheels had spats over the rear wheel opening.
This early Jaguar XK140 was purchased by the vendor in 1979 as a restoration project and the engine and gearbox were removed to enable this, and a large number of parts were also removed and come with the car. Changes in lifestyle prevented any progress and the car has been in dry storage all this time. The car is now described by the vendor as a barn find in need of total restoration but it is believed to be complete. The engine is not the original but is the correct type and the number is G8610 (originally G3957). The original green log book was lost in communication with the DVLA but the vendor does have a copy.
The original owner was a Michael Randall from Surrey. Other owners were Beasley, Fowler and Harrison
Note: This description is provided by the vendor and unless otherwise stated is 'Not Verified' by Barons or any person employed by Barons. Prospective purchasers are advised to satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of any statements made, whether they be statements of fact or opinion.