Hitech Racing continued to rack up the points as Max Chilton took ninth in the weekend’s second British Formula 3 International Series race at Spa-Francorchamps. His young team-mate Walter Grubmüller had an abrupt end to his race, the Austrian seeing his superb start wasted when he was eliminated in a first corner clash with John Martin and Atte Mustonen.
Starting from the eighth row, BRDC Superstar Chilton made a superb start off the line. As the pack filed into La Source for the first time, there was contact between Sam Abay and Marcus Ericsson and the incident that befell 19 year-old Grubmüller, allowing 17 year-old Chilton to nip up the inside exiting the right-hander into a superb sixth place.
However his great form was brought to a premature end when a mechanical problem slowed a car in front and forced Max to take avoiding action, allowing Henry Arundel through. For two thirds of the 12-lap race Max held onto seventh. But on lap eight, the Reigate teenager came under pressure from Adrian Campos Hull and Philip Major, the pair finding a way past at Les Combes and a lap later he’d dropped to tenth when Sebastian Hohenthal found a way past.
Max crossed the line tenth but with Invitation class runner Campos-Hull unable to score points, Max collects points for ninth place in the series, which puts him ninth in the points standings and second in the Mirror.co.uk Challenge, for the top British driver.
The Hitech Racing team will recommence its British Formula 3 International Series campaign at its home track of Silverstone in two weeks time on Friday 15 and Saturday 16 August.
Results of Race Two 12 laps:
1. Brendon Hartley Carlin Motorsport Dallara F308 Mercedes HWA 27:18.580
2. Sergio Perez T-Sport Dallara F308 Mugen Honda 27:19.974
3. Nick Tandy JTR Marshall Westland Mygale M-08F3 Mercedes HWA 27:20.869
4. Jaime Alguersuari Carlin Motorsport Dallara F308 Mercedes HWA 27:21.136
5. Marcus Ericsson Fortec Motorsport Dallara F308 Mercedes HWA 27:21.872
6. Henry Arundel Räikkönen Robertson Racing Dallara F308 Mercedes HWA 27:39.906
9. Max Chilton Hitech Racing Dallara F308 Mercedes HWA 27:48.036Click here for the Max Chilton web site - designed and built by Racecar