The brand new 5.4km Valencia street circuit was the venue for this weekend’s motor racing activities as the GP2 Series and Formula BMW Europe took to the Spanish track in support of the Formula One World Championship. Fisichella Motor Sport International was once again in action in both support championships; fielding Roldan Rodriguez and Marko Asmer in the GP2 Series and Pedro Bianchini, Mihai Marinescu and Ollie Millroy in Formula BMW Europe.
As is usual with the GP2 Series, the drivers had just 30 minutes to learn the brand new track, which snakes through the portside city of Valencia. Roldan set an impressive 12th fastest time in the practice session. Both drivers completed 15 laps in the half-hour practice before embarking on Friday afternoon’s qualifying. Roldan secured a ninth-row starting spot by setting with 17th fastest time, with Marko on the 11th row in 21st. Unfortunately for FMS neither driver got past the first lap of Saturday’s 34-lap race, with Roldan out after hitting the wall after a frantic start and Marko pulling into the pits after the warm up lap with a technical problem and not starting the race. In Sunday’s shorter race, Roldan was able to make up 11 places from his 22nd place starting position, crossing the line in 11th, while Marko was again unable to finish after a spin put an early end to his race.
For Saturday’s Formula BMW Europe race, Pedro began on the fourth row of the grid in eighth place, with Mihai on the sixth row in 12th and Ollie on the tenth row after qualifying with the 20th quickest time. Pedro raced well on Saturday, ultimately finishing just off the podium in fourth position, while Ollie also made up valuable places to cross the line in 11th. Mihai unfortunately retired. For Sunday’s event Pedro began in seventh, with Mihai behind him on the grid from ninth. Ollie began from 23rd position. All three drivers finished Sunday’s race, with Mihai crossing the line in 14th, Ollie just behind in 15th and Pedro in 17th.
Both championships are starting to draw to a close now, with just four races over two race weekend remaining for both. The GP2 and Formula BMW teams will be back in action in two weeks time at Spa Francorchamps in Belgium, before the season finale a week later at Monza in Italy.
GP2 - Saturday Race Result
1. Vitaly Petrov (Campos Team) - 10pts
2. Pastor Maldonado (Piquet Sports) - 8pts
3. Romain Grosjean (ART Grand Prix) - 6pts
DNF. Roldan Rodriguez (FMS International)
DNS. Marko Asmer (FMS International)
GP2 - Sunday Race Result
1. Lucas di Grassi (Campos Team) - 6pts
2. Luca Filippi (Trust Team Arden) - 5pts
3. Jerome D’Ambrosio (DAMS) - 4pts
11. Roldan Rodriguez (FMS International)
DNF. Marko Asmer (FMS International)
Formula BMW - Saturday Race Result
1. Tiago Geronimi (Eifelland Racing)
2. Esteban Gutierrez (Josef Kaufmann Racing)
3. Marco Wittmann (Josef Kaufmann Racing)
4. Pedro Bianchini (FMS International)
11. Ollie Millroy (FMS International)
DNF. Mihai Marinescu (FMS International)
Formula BMW - Sunday Race Result
1. Esteban Gutierrez (Josef Kaufmann Racing)
2. Marco Wittmann (Josef Kaufmann Racing)
3. Kevin Breysse (DAMS Team)
14. Mihai Marinescu (FMS International)
15. Ollie Millroy (FMS International)
17. Pedro Bianchini (FMS International)Click here for the Official Fisichella Motorsportweb site - designed and built by Racecar