The Dams driver snatched the top spot in qualification today in a 1:41.091
The Japanese ace got his revenge: seeking pole position in Shanghai and failing, he brilliantly managed to be the quickest man of the day, securing the top spot of the grid for tomorrow’s feature race of the second round of the GP2 Asia Series.
He delivered his best performance with only two minutes left on the clock. In a trouble-free session and a cleaner track than during Free Practice, Kobayashi signed the fastest laptime ahead of countryman Sakon Yamamoto at the wheel of his ART car. Vitaly Petrov completed the top 3 – an all Asian driver top finishers, but the Russian from Campos was quite disappointed coming out of his car as he was really aiming for pole.
However, traffic and a clash with van Der Drift in his final lap meant that Petrov never had the opportunity to show the true potential of his machine. The championship leader, Roldan Rodriguez at Piquet GP secured the second row, clocking the fourth quickest laptime, ahead of Shanghai sprint race winner Davide Valsecchi at Durango.
Yelmer Buurman brought another great result to newcomers Ocean Racing Technology, finishing 6th, ahead of rookie van der Garde at GFH Team iSport. Earlier in the session, Diego Nunes looked like a real poleman contender, but he eventually placed his Piquet GP car in eighth place ahead of another rookie, Sergio Perez, on the second Campos car. Dams’ d’Ambrosio completed the Top 10.
The first twelve cars finished in the same second.
Dubai – Qualifications
Driver Team Time Laps
1. Kamui Kobayashi Dams 1:41.091 13
2. Sakon Yamamoto ART Grand Prix 1:41.275 12
3. Vitaly Petrov Barwa Int. Campos Team 1:41.341 13
4. Roldan Rodriguez Piquet GP 1:41.376 15
5. Davide Valsecchi Durango 1:41.472 15
6. Yelmer Buurman Ocean Racing Technology 1:41.550 14
7. Giedo Van der Garde GFH Team iSport 1:41.557 15
8. Diego Nunes Piquet GP 1:41.593 15
9. Sergio Perez Barwa Int. Campos Team 1:41.768 15
10. Jérôme d’Ambrosio Dams 1:41.777 14
11. Andreas Zuber Fisichella Motor Sport Int. 1:41.798 14
12. Pastor Maldonado ART Grand Prix 1:41.838 13
13. Renger van der Zande Trust Team Arden 1:42.054 15
14. Javier Villa Super Nova Racing 1:42.062 13
15. James Jakes Super Nova Racing 1:42.066 15
16. Earl Bamber MY Qi-Meritus.Mahara 1:42.068 15
17. Luiz Razia Trust Team Arden 1:42.204 14
18. Giacomo Ricci DPR 1:42.351 14
19. Hamad Al Fardan GFH Teal iSport 1:42.367 15
20 Alberto Valerio Trident Racing 1:42.541 15
21. Alex Yoong MY Qi-Meritus.Mahara 1:43.026 14
22. Michael Herck DPR 1:43.102 14
23. Fabrizio Crestani Ocean Racing Technology 1:43.316 14
24. Chris van Der Drift Trident Racing 1:43.393 15
25 Michael Dalle Stelle Durango 1:45.603 15
26 Kevin Nai Chia Chen Fisichella Motor Sport Int. 1:48.411 16Click here for the Official Fisichella Motorsportweb site - designed and built by Racecar