10 Fast Fact about the Yokohama V8 Ute Racing Series at the Clipsal 500
1) Clipsal is the inaugural event for the Yokohama V8 Ute Racing Series, which began in 2001.
2) Local, Charlie “Handlebars” Kovacs has raced at every Clipsal event and celebrated his 200th Race at Oran Park in December 2008.
3) Other South Australian locals are Thirsty Camel Racings, Craig “Growler” Dontas, Stunt driver, Gary “Chuckie” Baxter and Ford driver, Noel “Sledge” Edge.
4) The fastest lap time for Clipsal in a V8 Ute is 1:38.16 set by Coopers Pale Ale Racing, Jack “The Hustler” Elsegood in 2008.
5) Damien “Ice Man” White claimed the first lap record in a V8 Ute in 2001 in a time of 1:46.25.
6) In 2008 during race three, there was an alarming crash between Matt Kingsley, Craig Dontas, Colin Corkery and Jack Elsegood, declaring it a non event.
7) The Adelaide Parklands, Clipsal 500 track is 3.22km.
8) Damien White has been on podium the most amount of times five out of the six years he has raced the Utes.
9) A lap record has been broken almost every year with the exception of 2004 with local driver Gary Baxter holding onto his 2003 record for two consecutive years in a time of 1:40.52.
10) Past winners of Clipsal
2008 Grant “Grunta” Johnson2007 Jack “The Hustler” Elsegood2006 Grant “Grunta”Johnson2005 Marcus “Mayhem” Zukanovic2004 Charlie “Handlebars” Kovacs2003 Gary “Chuckie” Baxter2002 Warren “Rockdog” Luff2001 Gary “Macca” MacDonald