Kasey Kahne has volunteered to join Hendrick Motorsport's teammate Jeff Gordon at Lime Rock Park Thursday, September 18 to help Gordon raise funds and awareness for AARP's "Drive to End Hunger" campaign. Kahne is seeded 11th in NASCAR's championship playoff system, while Hendrick teammates Gordon, Dale Earnhardt, Jr., and Jimmie Johnson are second, third and fourth, respectively..
Since the Jeff Gordon hot laps are sold out, Kasey has generously offered up “Kasey Hot Laps” – he’ll be driving a 2015 Chevy Camaro Z/28 with passengers – for a $500 donation to Drive to End Hunger, .
That means two of 2014’s NASCAR Sprint Cup “Chase for the Championship” qualifiers are here at Lime Rock, plus Gordon crew chief Alan Gustafson (also driving, for $400 donations) and, of course, team owner Rick Hendrick himself.
The AARP Foundation’s “Drive to End Hunger” is Lime Rock Park’s official charity for 2014. Hendrick Motorsports and Jeff Gordon have been spearheading the AARP campaign since 2011.
The track has a goal of raising $96,000 for the “Drive to End Hunger,” which is an ongoing effort to feed senior Americans who simply do not have enough money to buy food, specifically by funding local food banks in Connecticut’s Northwest Corner, Southern Berkshire County, Mass., and eastern Dutchess County, N.Y.
At the Sunday Royals Garage Car Show over Memorial Day weekend, Lime Rock raised more than $7,000. Counting the July 5, Lime Rock Park-hosted a “Drive to End Hunger” meal-packing event, plus other significant donations, Lime Rock is nearly halfway there; the track is looking forward to “Jeff Gordon Day” putting it very near the goal. September 18 is the track’s biggest fundraising event for “Drive to End Hunger.”
Here’s how people can help:
* For a $24 donation, join a hosted interview with Jeff Gordon, Kasey Kahne, Rick Hendrick and Alan Gustafson. Lime Rock is holding this fun, informative gathering in one of its big Hospitality Tents near the Infield Midway
* For a $240 per person donation, join Gordon, Kahne, Hendrick, Gustafson and Skip Barber for wine-tasting (Jeff Gordon’s wines are featured), dinner and an auction at the Falls Village Inn
* For a $400 donation, people get three hot laps with Alan Gustafson in a 2015 Chevy Camaro Z/28 prototype
* For a $500 donation, people get three hot laps with Kasey Kahne in a 2015 Chevy Camaro Z/28 prototype
Each element of the September 18 fundraising event has limited availability, so those interested in joining this once-in-a-lifetime day to raise awareness and funds about the problem of hunger among people 50+ should not delay.
To sign up and donate for the Hosted Interview and Hot Laps, go to www.dteh.org/limerock
Those interested in the dinner and auction must call Lime Rock's Tracy Pardo de Zela at 860.435.5000
Auction items include:
- VIP Guest of Rick Hendrick at NASCAR Sprint Cup Homestead, Fla., 2014 season finale- VIP Guest of Rick Hendrick at 2015 Daytona 500- VIP Guest of Rick Hendrick to drive his personal collector cars at a dragstrip near the Hendrick Motorsports campus (spring 2015)- Gordon-autographed gloves; racing suit; engine hood from the #24 Chevy SS race car- Autographed football from Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino, AARP Ambassador