The Goodwood Revival is taking place this weekend, and once again there will be a mouth-watering selection of iconic cars from the 1940s, 50s and 60s. Here is just a Top 10 taster of the many rare and legendary cars on display and in action on the track:
1. Jaguar D-type – A staggering 20 D-types will be racing in the Lavant Cup, with a record 33 examples parading on the Goodwood circuit to celebrate 60 years of this iconic Jaguar race-winning car.
2. Maserati 250 F – The rare sight of 11 racing 250 Fs in the Richmond Trophy is set to stir the soul of any enthusiast, with a total of 16 examples parading to mark the first 100 years since the revered Maserati marque was founded.
3. The trend-setting Ford Mustang celebrates its 50th anniversary this year, and to capture the event, 18 examples will battle in a special Shelby Cup race, racing wheel-to-wheel with contemporary American muscle.
4. The Manx Norton is THE iconic British racing motorcycle. An example contested the Isle of Man TT from 1907 right through to the 1970s. A total of six will take part in the Barry Sheene Memorial Trophy, named after Britain’s late two-time 500cc world champion. Included among them is an example of the legendary ‘featherbed’ chassis, to be raced by US legend Kevin Schwantz.
5. Four racing examples of the lusty Ferrari 250 GT SWB/C will be competing in the ‘must see’ two-driver Royal Automobile Club TT Celebration race, along with other desirable and exceedingly valuable cars from Aston Martin, Jaguar, Lotus and others.
6. An ultra-rare 1953 Cunningham C4R will bring some American glamour and excitement to this year’s Freddie March Memorial Trophy race.
7. Sir Jackie Stewart’s 1969 F1 Championship-winning Matra-Cosworth MS80 will form part of a tribute to this versatile and talent Caledonian World Champion, along side Ford Escorts, BRMs and Grand Prix Tyrrells.
8. ‘The Versatile V8’ will be the theme for this year’s Earls Court Concours display, including around 25 exceptional V8-powered passenger cars, including this pioneering rear-engined 1946 Tatra T87.
9. The wonderful 1959 Aston Martin DBR1 makes a welcome racing return to Goodwood for the exciting Sussex Trophy race.
10. Pre-War racing thrills are guaranteed on the Goodwood Trophy, with this thundering 1935 ERA A-Type R4A competing against other ERAs, Bugattis, Aston Martins and other great 1930s racers.