- New ‘MSA Formula’ car to be on display
- Field Almost Complete For 2014 Event
BBC Television’s ‘Great British Bake Off’ star Paul Hollywood is to open this year’s Henry Surtees Challenge at Buckmore Park, Kent, on Wednesday 8th October and shall also be taking to the iconic karting track for a few laps ahead of the event!
Over 30 of the finest young British motor racing talent have so far signed up to compete in the unique charity and career enhancing competition, organised by former F1 World Champion John Surtees OBE and the Henry Surtees Foundation, which invites young drivers to battle it out using Club100 Birel karts for the chance to win the best prizes ever offered at a kart meeting and the top three drivers a prestigious Henry ‘H’ trophy.
2013 Challenge winner David Pittard shall be joined by colleagues including 2011 event winner, ex-team mate of Henry’s and BMW driver Alexander Sims; 2012 event winner and current Fortec Motorsports Eurocup driver Jack Aitken and his team mate, Caterham Young Driver, Matt Parry; 2014 ‘Henry Surtees Foundation Team Challenge’ winning team member, Esmee Hawkee (Ginetta Junior Championship driver); recently crowned Formula Renault NEC Champion Ben Barnicoat; six times Buckmore Park Champion, Piers Prior; Bobby Thompson, Scott Malvern, Oliver Rowland, Jack Barlow, Seb Morris and Laura Tillett are just a few of the best of British talent who have signed up to compete again this year. The event seeks to attract drivers from all classes of motorsport, who are in their 15th year and over, but spaces are limited and the field is already 90% complete.
Also on display at the event, after its global media launch this Saturday, will be the new ‘MSA Formula Certified by FIA Powered by Ford EcoBoost’ Mygale car - the UK variant of FIA Formula 4 which replaces the British Formula Ford Championship from next season. The new series adopts the world governing body's blueprint for a universal junior formula open to drivers aged 15 years and over.
John Surtees, OBE:
“Paul Hollywood and I have recently had an adventure at Brands Hatch when he tested my 1960 MV Agusta World Championship model motorcycle. When Paul isn’t baking or judging others he is a great two and four wheel enthusiast with his Ducati motorcycle and Aston Martin. He is enthusiastic about karting and will be joining us for the Henry Surtees Foundation charity event at Buckmore Park on Wednesday 8 October. This is targeted at Britain’s finest young up and coming drivers. He will put on a race suit and do a few laps to open the circuit. The same circuit where Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton learnt their skills.”
Now in its fourth year the Henry Surtees Challenge offers a spectacular and unique range of prizes that will accelerate the careers of young drivers and aid them in their race programme preparation for 2015. Prizes for fastest lap, the most unlucky driver and highest finisher 80kg or over will also be awarded.
Confirmed prizes for the 2014 event include:
Test and Race Opportunities
· Test day in the Ginetta G40 GRDC to one driver aged 16 or over, donated by Ginetta
· FIA Formula 4 Ford test: half day seat fitting and acclimatisation test in the UK, followed by one full day, with Falcon Motorsport, at their Spanish test, with the new composite-chassis car that will be on display at the event, donated by Falcon Motorsport
· BRDC Formula 4 test, donated by Hillspeed
· Formula Renault 2.0 two day test with Manor Competition at a Spanish circuit, donated by Renault UK and Manor Competition
· Tour of Carlin racing facility, seat fitting, simulator testing session with race engineer, Formula 3 Dallara Volkswagen test, donated by Carlin Motorsport
· A simulator session at the Ferrari Driver Academy and a Ferrari Racing Department factory tour in Maranello, Italy, for two people, donated by Ferrari. Air travel donated by Travel Places.
Race Support Equipment and Services
· A full motorsport fitness assessment, donated by Porsche Human Performance.
· A full kit of Puma race clothing - one suit, three pairs of gloves, two pairs of racing boots, one pair of running shoes and one pair of lifestyle shoes for the winner (in addition to their chosen prize), donated by Puma SE
· Two sets of gloves and underwear, one pair of racing shoes, one pair of running shoes and one pair lifestyle shoes for second place (in addition to their chosen prize), donated by Puma SE
· One set of gloves and underwear, one pair of racing shoes, one pair of running shoes and one pair of lifestyle shoes for third place (in addition to their chosen prize), donated by Puma SE
· Tour of the Red Bull Racing facility, simulator session and evaluation by a race engineer, donated by Christian Horner
· An Arai GP-6S helmet in white finish, donated by Arai
· Full website package, online branding, plus a three month social media package, donated by 5G Creative
· A two hour training session at iZone Driver Performance, donated by Andy Priaulx
· A supply of Teng Tools to the value of £1,000, donated by Teng Tools
· A pair of custom-fit driver communication earpieces suitable for all racing formulas up to F1, supplied with a year’s support to ensure the wearer is fully equipped to hear vital communications for a full season of racing. A pair of custom-fit filtered noise plugs - to protect hearing. A complete hearing health check consisting of an ear examination using a video otoscope (see inside your own ears) and a comprehensive hearing test. Advice and information on protecting your hearing to assist with a motorsport career, donated by specialist in Formula 1 equipment, Hearing Electronics Limited
· Coverage of the 2014 Henry Surtees Challenge in Motor Sport magazine will include a profile of the winning driver.
Some prizes will be on offer to MSA licence holders only, and will be allocated at the discretion of the event organisers.
Entries are strictly limited, so enter now to avoid disappointment. Entry costs £500 and is open to drivers in their 15th year or above, typically competing in single-seater formulas, touring, sportscar classes, karting and motorcycling, who hold an MSA National B licence or above, or are a member of Club 100 Premier and Clubman Spirit members, or a Buckmore Park Elite driver.
Fuel will be supplied courtesy of Shell. The Arai UK service vehicle will be on-site; offering a free helmet cleaning and service to all drivers with Arai helmets.
Drivers wishing to take part in the event should contact the Henry Surtees Foundation: firstname.lastname@example.org or 01732 865496.
2014 Henry Surtees Challenge Schedule, Wednesday 8th October
Buckmore Park, Maidstone Rd, Chatham, Kent ME5 9QG
0800HRS DRIVERS REGISTRATION
0900HRS WELCOME – DRIVERS BRIEFING
0950HRS EVENT OPENED BY PAUL HOLLYWOOD WITH LAPS OF TRACK
1000HRS – 1230HRS GROUP 1 – 15 MINUTE PRACTICE SESSION
GROUP 2 – 15 MINUTE PRACTICE SESSION
GROUP 3 – 15 MINUTE PRACTICE SESSION
GROUP 1 – 15 MINUTE PRACTICE SESSION
GROUP 2 – 15 MINUTE PRACTICE SESSION
GROUP 3 – 15 MINUTE PRACTICE SESSION
1230HRS – 1330HRS LUNCH
1330HRS – 1600HRS GROUP 1 – 12 MINUTE QUALIFYING
GROUP 2 – 12 MINUTE QUALIFYING
GROUP 3 – 12 MINUTE QUALIFYING
PRE – B FINAL – 12 MINUTES
(Top 4 qualify onto the back of the Pre-A Final)
PRE – A FINAL – 12 MINUTES
B – FINAL – 15 MINUTES
(Top 2 qualify onto the back of the A Final)
A – FINAL – 15 MINUTES
1615HRS PRIZE PRESENTATIONS