PLUS, author “Sign & Sell” times and locations for Sam Posey, Burt Levy, Dwight Knowlton, Gordon Kirby, Joe Freeman, Jim McGee
Lime Rock Park has an All-Star line-up of racing icons as its guests for Historic Festival 33 September 3-7.
All have made themselves available to meet, greet and sign.
In addition to the Sir Stirling Moss and Jochen Mass autograph sessions, we’ve scheduled Sam, Dwight, Burt, Gordon, Joe and Jim for Sign & Sells of their latest books...
• For more than 40 years, racing fans all over the world have followed Sam Posey's unique career as a driver, writer, and broadcaster. Posey wrote his first article for Road & Track in 1968, the same year he drove a Chevrolet Camaro for Roger Penske's team in the Trans-Am series. In the 1970s he not only won at Sebring and finished on the podium at Le Mans, but also published a highly regarded autobiography. Posey retired from driving in 1982, but in the years since his public profile has grown through his articles for Road & Track, Sports Illustrated, and other publications, as well as his work as a television commentator. In Where the Writer Meets the Road, Posey has selected the best of his work in both fields. The result is a remarkably varied mix of short and long pieces on subjects ranging from racing in the rain at Le Mans to test-driving the propeller-driven Wind Wagon created by his uncle Teddy in the 1920s. No matter the venue or circumstance, Posey's writing captures the excitement of racing as well as an insider's understanding of how the sport really works.
• Called "The Best Kids' Car Book Ever" by Yahoo! Autos, Dwight Knowlton’s The Little Red Racing Car is the award winning story of a 1955 Maserati that was once a racing great, but was then left to decay in an old barn. It's a story of a boy finding a car, restoring it with his dad, and an amazing discovery along the way... The red car was once driven by the great Stirling Moss! (Also, a pre-publication release of a Moss/Knowlton book collaboration is expected.)
• All But For Indy is a set of remarkable stories of forty champion racing drivers who but for a stroke of bad luck, an unfortunate last minute mistake, or just the intervention of fate, were never able to win America’s greatest race. In a volume that could as well have been titled “Nobody Cares Who Finished Second,” authors Joe Freeman and Gordon Kirby go against the popular grain to offer these remarkable stories.
• Veteran U.S. racing writer and award-winning author Gordon Kirby introduces his new book Jim McGee: Crew Chief of Champions, told largely in Jim McGee’s own words, about one of the most successful crew chiefs in Indy car racing history. McGee’s cars won 90 races between 1965-2005, including four Indy 500s and nine Indy car championships. This book features interviews with all the top drivers and team owners McGee worked with over his long career, including Mario Andretti, Tom Sneva, Rick Mears, Emerson Fittipaldi, Bobby Rahal and Nigel Mansell. This new work also traces McGee’s role in the development of today’s big race teams with fleets of engineers in contrast to the three- and four-man teams of the early 60s. It is filled with over 300 images, many from the Racemaker Archive, never before published.
• Burt “BS” Levy will be signing and otherwise de-facing all his books including his latest, The 200 MPH Steamroller, the fifth book in the Buddy Palumbo / 'The Last Open Road' series. It’s also the first book in a brand new trilogy that traces, in highly parodied form, a large (and thoroughly fictitious, of course!) American manufacturer's explosive burst onto the motorsports scene, their attempt to buy a legendary Italian race team and their subsequent assault on Le Mans.
FRIDAY 1:00 - 2:00p Burt Levy “The 200 MPH Steamroller” Merchandise Store Deck 3:00 - 3:45p Stirling Moss & Jochen Mass Mercedes Tent in A-Paddock
SATURDAY 9:30 - 10:30a Dwight Knowlton “The Little Red Racing Car: A Father/Son Story” Merchandise Store Deck 10:30 - 11:30a Stirling Moss & Jochen Mass Vintage Motorsport Magazine Tent on Midway 11:00a - 12:30p Joseph Freeman, Gordon Kirby & Jim McGee, “Second to One: All but for Indy” & “Jim McGee: Crew Chief of Champions” Merchandise Store Deck 1:00 - 2:00p Burt Levy “The 200 MPH Steamroller” Merchandise Store Deck 1:30 - 2:15p Stirling Moss & Jochen Mass Vintage Motorsport Magazine Tent on Midway 2:30 - 3:30 Sam Posey “Where the Writer Meets the Road” Merchandise Store Deck
SUNDAY 10:30 - 11:30a Stirling Moss & Jochen Mass Front Straight 12:00 - 1:30p Joseph Freeman, Gordon Kirby & Jim McGee “Second to One: All but for Indy” & “Jim McGee: Crew Chief of Champions” Front Straight 12:00 - 1:30p Burt Levy “The 200 MPH Steamroller” & Dwight Knowlton “The Little Red Racing Car: A Father/Son Story” Front Straight
MONDAY 9:30 - 10:30a Sam Posey “Where the Writer Meets the Road” Merchandise Store Deck 10:30 - 11:30a Stirling Moss & Jochen Mass Classic Motorsports Magazine Tent on Midway 10:30 - 11:30a Dwight Knowlton “The Little Red Racing Car: A Father/Son Story” Merchandise Store Deck 12:00 - 1:00p Stirling Moss & Jochen Mass Merchandise Store Deck 1:30 - 2:30p Burt Levy “The 200 MPH Steamroller” Merchandise Store Deck