Restoration by Epifani Restorations
Coachwork by Pinin Farina
Estimate: $900,000 - $1,300,000
Chassis: 0279 EU
Engine: 0279 EU
Rare Left-Hand-Drive 212 Europa with Pinin Farina Coachwork
Illustrated in Period Ferrari Factory Literature
Displayed at the 1961 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance®
Documented by Ferrari Historian Marcel Massini
Ferrari Classiche Certified; Original Bodywork and Matching-Numbers
Bruno Ferrari, Latrobe, Pennsylvania (acquired new in 1953)
Private Collector, California (acquired from the above in 1960)
James W. Farrow, Saratoga, California (acquired from the above circa 1961)
James Boulware, Monte Sereno, California (acquired from the above circa 1970)
Ronald S. Laurie, San Francisco, California (acquired from the above in March 1976)
Cyrus Nassiry, Berkeley, California (acquired from the above in October 1976)
Larry Russo, San Francisco, California
Richard S. Wilson, San Francisco, California
Brad Hallock, Concord, California (acquired from the above circa 1988)
Mark Ketcham, Mill Valley, California (acquired from the above circa 1992)
Anil Chhabra, Shreveport, Louisiana (acquired 1996)
Current Owner (acquired via Mike Sheehan of Newport Beach, California, in 2006)
Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance®, Pebble Beach, California, April 1961
Concorso Italiano, Carmel Valley, California, August 1994
Rosso Rodeo Concours d’Elegance, Beverly Hills, California, June 1995
Colorado Grand, September 200
Hilary A. Raab Jr., Ferrari Serial Numbers Part I, p. 10
Ferrari introduced the 212 Inter at the Brussels Motor Show in 1951. The final evolution of the race-proven 166 chassis and the direct replacement of the 195 Inter, the new GT car was more refined, luxurious, and powerful than its forebears. The model underscored Ferrari’s commitment to build fast, sporting cars for the road, not just for competition.
The 212 Inter, and later the 212 Europa, shared many elements of chassis and suspension design with the 166 and 195, including a double-oval tube-frame chassis, front independent suspension, rear live axle with semi-elliptical leaf springs, and drum brakes. Power was delivered through a 2.6-liter version of the Colombo-designed single overhead camshaft V-12, and connected to a five-speed gearbox, an unusual feature for its day. The 212 offered impressive performance for the period, including 0–60 mph in about 10 seconds, with a top speed of 120 mph.
Several coachbuilders were called upon to fabricate bodies for the Ferrari’s rolling chassis, resulting in a variety of styles that were often tailored to a specific customer. The 212 series cars were among the first collaborations between Ferrari and Carrozzeria Pinin Farina.
Carrying the chassis suffix “EU,” this late-production Ferrari 212 Europa incorporated many factory updates, including three Weber 36 DCF3 carburetors that were more typical of Ferrari’s competition models and bestowed 40 bhp more than the earlier Inter version. Entering Pinin Farina’s workshops on March 14, 1953, this example, 0279 EU, received expertly handcrafted closed aluminum coachwork featuring the distinctive front end of the later 250 Europa, and was finished in Azzurro, a fetching shade of light blue, contrasted with a light gray roof and a Marrone (Brown) leather interior.
One of 17 examples of the 212 Europa bodied by Pinin Farina, and one of just four left-hand-drive chassis made by the factory, 0279 EU was featured in period Ferrari factory literature, according to the research of Ferrari historian Marcel Massini. This 212 was delivered to Chinetti Motors in New York, and supplied new to its first owner, Bruno Ferrari of Latrobe, Pennsylvania. He kept the 212 for almost seven years before selling it to a California resident in 1960. According to Mr. Massini’s report, 0279 EU would pass among a series of California-based owners and undergo a professional frame-up restoration in 1993 before being sold to its current caretaker in 2006 via Ferrari broker Mike Sheehan.
In 2010, 0279 EU was entrusted to Nino Epifani’s renowned workshop in Berkeley, California, for a ground-up, nut-and-bolt restoration to the highest concours standards. During this almost seven-year process, the 212 was disassembled and restored from the frame up, at a cost of over $500,000, according to the consignor. Every part of the car was evaluated and attended to, with the goal of creating a final result worthy of the most prestigious concours events. During this process, the original engine and gearbox, as well as the suspension and braking components, were carefully rebuilt, while with spirited event driving in mind, a fuel cell was placed inside the steel gas tank for safety. The exterior was refinished in its elegant, original Azzurro con Tetto Grigio color scheme with dashboard and window surrounds painted to match. All brightwork was replated, including the bumpers and prominent eggcrate grille. The interior was trimmed in tan leather, and a period Condor radio, whose dial shows the frequencies for Rome, Torino, and Milan, among others, was installed. Typical of Epifani’s work, the standard of the restoration and correctness of the finishes are truly impressive, and of the very highest level.
Offered with a factory manual bearing a Chinetti Motors stamp, tools, jack, factory brochures, restoration receipts, and Ferrari Classiche Red Book, 0279 EU possesses the very desirable attributes of rarity, matching numbers, and a restoration just completed by an award-winning specialist, with only shakedown miles since. Classiche certified, the beautiful, Pinin Farina-bodied coupe has yet to make its modern-day concours debut and would be warmly welcomed at almost any of the world’s most prestigious historic automotive events.