June 18th, 2019
Porto Cervo,: Uncertain conditions at the beginning of the second day at the Star Class World Championship gave way to typical Sardinian breezes later on and the day’s racing got underway about an hour late.
There are still four races to go, but after today’s race the provisional scoreboard has changed as Polish skipper Mateusz Kusznierewicz (above) moved from sixth to first while Augie Diaz (USA) jumped up from tenth to second overall.
This morning the Race Committee hoisted the AP flag at noon and there was a wait of an hour before the breeze filled in. After a first start ended in a general recall, the fleet of 63 Stars from 20 nations set out on the second race of this event in breeze from the north/ northwest at 7-9 knots.
Augie Diaz, Star Class World Champion in 2016, with crew Henry Boening, the current European Champion, lead the race from start to finish while Kusznierewicz finished second. Currently in third place overall are the Swedes Tom Lofstedt with Anders Ekstrom, who finished seventh yesterday and sixth today.
“It’s too soon to talk about winning but we’re happy to be at the top for now,” shared Kusznierewicz. “Our lead is narrow so anything could happen.”
Today’s winner Augie Diaz was multiply pleased about the day. “The first is for ‘Maguila’ (crew Henry Boening) who got his first win in a Star World Championship, and the second is for Bruno Prada finishing second after a great race. He is usually my crew and whom I consider like a son.”
The warning for the third race tomorrow is scheduled for 12 noon. The forecast calls for light westerly breeze at 5-7 knots. Six races are planned from June 17 to 22.
Day Two Results (Top 10 of 63; 2 races)
1. POL Mateusz Kuszinierewicz/ Bruno Prada 6-2, 8
2. USA Augie Diaz Henry/ Boenning 10-1, 11
3. SWE Tom Loefstedt/ Anders Ekstrom 7-6, 13
4. NED Thomas Allart/ Kilian Weise 5-9, 14
5. NOR Elvind Melleby/ Joshua Revkin 4-11, 15
6. NED Haico de Boer/ Pedro Trouche 14-3, 17
7. ITA Diego Negri/ Sergio Lambertenghi 2-16, 18
8. DEN Jorgen Schoenherr/ Jan Eli Gravad 11-7, 18
9. USA Paul Cayard/ Artur Lopes 19-5, 24
10. IRL Torvar Mirsky/ Robert O’Leary 16-8, 24