Colturi, Hunt, Iffland and Paredes visit secret, idyllic place on wild west coast.
Red Bull Cliff Diving World Series athletes have embarked on another stunning adventure as they dived into one of the most secret and hard-to-get places on Ibiza's wild west coast.
Here is all you need to know:
- Before the second stop of the 2021 Red Bull Cliff Diving World Series in Norwegian capital Oslo on August 14, ambassador Orlando Duque was joined on Spain's third largest Balearic Island by Rhiannan Iffland, David Colturi, Gary Hunt, Celia Fernandez and Jonathan Paredes.
- The name for the 'Cave of Light' was inspired by the beautiful reflections of sunlight that illuminate the whole cave - especially under the midday sun - creating a stunning blue glow.
- The perfect take off position was 25m above the crystal clear water on a tiny flat stone platform and, in order to safely clear the rocks below, the divers needed to push a good six metres out while at the same time not getting too visually distracted by the rock wall on the opposite side.
- World Series record winner Hunt revealed: "When I first heard about this place, I was very shocked. I didn't know if it would be possible, then I saw photos and I felt like we can do it. This trip felt very special. The fact that we were a small group of divers far away from the stress of competition and in such a special place. We were just all bouncing off each other."
- American Colturi added: "I think one of the trickiest parts is comitting to the take-off, because you've got this wall right in front of you and - although you won't hit it - you have really got to push all the way to clear that ledge and in the desired spot getting between these two rocks."
- While the roof of the cave fell hundreds of years ago, leaving a big opening straight to the sea, it took the divers a couple of deep breaths and belief in their skills to push themselves into the abyss.
- Colombian legend Duque explained: "It's never easy to dive into a cave as it's very bright outside and very dark inside. This contrast is very complicated because you don't see the surface of the water. Apart from this it is very exciting to find these kinds of spots in nature, places that are very close to the city but at the same time very far and difficult to access."
- Four-time World Series champion Iffland of Australia declared: "What a time to be alive!"