The Japanese ace tops the morning Free Practice that marked the opening of the second season of the GP2 Asia Series. Dams’ Kobayashi has taken the top spot in free practice today in Shanghai this morning almost half a second clear from Roldan Rodriguez on Piquet GP.
After setting the pace during last week’s two-day test session on this same track, the Toyota test driver looks decidedly on top form for the GP2 Asia Series second season debut. In a dry and calm session, the Japanese set a best time of 1:45.527 only on his third lap, 0.468 ahead of Rodriguez.
The Spaniard is the only driver, along with Kobayashi, to have gone under 1:46. In third place, the experienced Andreas Zuber on Fisichella Motor Sport International just edged out Javier Villa and rookie Van der Garde. Behind the top five, Vitaly Petrov finished ahead of Davide Valsecchi, Sakon Yamamoto and Mika Maki. Another rookie, Hamad Al Farden, completes the Top 10. GFH Team iSport are the only ones to have placed their two drivers in the Top 10.
The session was red flagged one minute before the end of the session after Frenchman Nelson Philippe stopped his ART car at turn 13 following a minor technical problem. The first qualifying session of the 08/09 GP2 Asia Series will start at 4pm, local time.
Shanghai – Free Practice
Driver Team Time Laps
1. Kamui Kobayashi Dams 1:45.527 11
2. Roldan Rodriguez Piquet GP 1:45.995 11
3. Andreas Zuber Fisichella Motor Sport Int. 1:46.068 13
4. Javier Villa Super Nova Racing 1:46.073 12
5. Giedo Van der Garde GFH Team iSport 1:46.085 11
6. Vitaly Petrov Barwa Int. Campos Team 1:46.101 12
7. Davide Valsecchi Durango 1:46. 145 12
8. Sakon Yamamoto ART Grand Prix 1:46.172 11
9. Mika Maki Trust Team Arden 1:46.294 12
10. Hamad Al Fardan GFH Team iSport 1:46.335 12
11. James Jakes Super ova Racing 1:46.363 12
12. Jérôme d’Ambrosio Dams 1:46.397 11
13. Yuhi Sekigushi DPR 1:46.469 10
14. Diego Nunes Piquet GP 1:46.535 12
15. Nelson Philippe ART Grand Prix 1:46.562 10
16. Sergio Perez Barwa Int. Campos Team 1:46.569 11
17. Chris Van der Drift Trident Racing 1:46.708 11
18. Hiroki Yoshimoto BCN Competicion 1:46.968 12
19. Luiz Razia Trust Team Arden 1:46.971 11
20 Luca Filippi BCN Competicion 1:47.025 13
21. Giacomo Ricci Trident Racing 1:47.060 12
22. Michael Herck DPR 1:47.182 11
23. Alex Yoong My Qi-Meritus.Mahara 1:47.275 12
24. Earl Bamber My Qi-Meritus.Mahara 1:47.290 11
25 Carlos Iaconelli Durango 1:49.190 12
26 Kevin Nai Chia Chen Fisichela Motor Sport Int. 1:49.313 14Click here for the Official Fisichella Motorsportweb site - designed and built by Racecar