going once, going twice…
This year Wales Rally GB, the final round of the FIA World Rally Championship, is raising money for BBC Children in Need through a number of exciting initiatives. One of the highlights of the fundraising activity will be an auction on Friday 5th December, 6.30pm at the Service Park at SA1 Waterfront, Swansea, where fans can bid for the ultimate money-can’t-buy Christmas gifts - all in support of the worthwhile charity.
Auction lots include Mikko Hirvonen’s signed race suit, a signed front wing from Petter Solberg’s Subaru Impreza WRC2007 from this year’s Rally Argentina, Matthew Wilson’s driving gloves, a tour of M-Sport’s headquarters and a Pudsey bear signed by Valentino Rossi.
The full list of auction lots includes:
- A front wing from the Subaru Impreza WRC2007 used by Petter Solberg and Phil Mills on this year’s Rally Argentina, signed by both drivers, donated by the Subaru World Rally Team
- The 2007 Wales Rally GB winner, Mikko Hirvonen’s signed race suit, donated by the BP Ford Abu Dhabi World Rally Team
- A Pudsey bear signed by six-times MotoGP champion Valentino Rossi, donated by Wales Rally GB and Valentino Rossi
- A limited edition copy of M-Sport's commemorative book published to celebrate Ford winning the 2006 WRC Manufacturers title, signed by members of the team, donated by the BP Ford Abu Dhabi World Rally Team
- Four unique and exclusive canvases painted by the four World Rally Championship teams at Wales Rally GB 2003, donated by Wales Rally GB
- A pair of Matthew Wilson’s driving gloves signed by both Matthew Wilson and François Duval; the Stobart team’s points scoring drivers on Wales Rally GB, donated by the Stobart VK M-Sport Ford Rally Team
- An exclusive tour, for six people, of M-Sport’s headquarters in Cumbria to see the state-of-the-art facilities where the Stobart rally cars are prepared, donated by the Stobart VK M-Sport Ford Rally Team
- A front bumper from a Stobart Ford Focus RS world rally car signed by the team’s drivers and co-drivers, donated by the Stobart VK M-Sport Ford Rally Team
- Exclusive race suit patches and gloves signed by the Citroen drivers, World Rally Champion for 2008 Sébastien Loeb and Dani Sordo, donated by the Citroën Total World Rally Team
“We are really proud that Wales Rally GB is able to support Children in Need for 2008 and we have had great support from the teams and drivers taking part this year,” explained Andrew Coe, chief executive of Wales Rally GB. “The list of lots for the auction is fantastic, the donations we have had are really unique and exciting and fans will undoubtedly not want to miss out on this opportunity to get their hands on them.”
The auction will take place at the Service Park – the hub of the rally action – as part of an evening of entertainment. Gates open at 4pm, the cars will be in service from about 6pm and the auction will begin at 6.30pm. Following the auction there will be live performances on stage by acclaimed Blondie tribute band Blondied and a sassy, fire-breathing routine from The Fuel Girls finishing up with a spectacular fireworks display.
All proceeds will go to BBC Children in Need, the world-famous charity that works to raise money to change the lives of disadvantaged children and young people in the UK. Last year, the charity raised over £37 million in total and this year with help from Wales Rally GB’s dedicated fans this figure is set to be beaten.
This year, Wales Rally GB has enlisted the help of a very special supporter, MotoGP champion Valentino Rossi, who has incorporated Pudsey into the livery of his car in the hope to drive donations from fans. Pudsey will be seen speeding through the Welsh forests as well as by tens of thousands of fans at Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium.
To keep up to date with news and information about Wales Rally GB visit walesrallygb.com or to book tickets call the booking hotline on 0844 847 2251. To get the best prices on tickets purchase them before 6th December.