Waberski takes first win
Elite Motorsport’s Alex Walker extended his GB4 Championship lead with another impressive victory at Oulton Park this morning, while Kevin Mills Racing’s Jarrod Waberski claimed his first victory on UK soil with an excellent performance in race three.
Walker’s victory and strong drive to seventh in the reverse grid final contest means he holds a 32 point lead at the top of the standings heading to the Silverstone Grand Prix circuit on 7-8 May.
After a dominant nine second win in race one, Walker again made a strong start from pole position, and controlled the contest. The 18-year-old had a lead of over four seconds at the end of just one lap after plenty of drama and close racing behind him allowed the Bedfordshire ace to pull away.
While Walker moved further ahead to claim his third win from five races, behind him there was some spectacular racing. Max Marzorati held second early on but was passed by Tom Mills, leaving Marzorati to defend heavily from several drivers, with a train of cars behind him.
Fortec’s Nikolas Taylor found a way past Marzorati on lap four to take third, but still the Hillspeed contender had to defend, with Waberski and teammate Megan Gilkes close behind. The trio crossed the line almost as one starting the final lap, with Waberski moving up to fourth, Gilkes to fifth and leaving Marzorati to claim sixth.
Waberski started race three from third on the grid, but blasted past Jessica Edgar and polesitter Logan Hannah on the run to Old Hall on lap one. The South African didn’t look back from there and extended a lead of over five seconds by the chequered flag after an excellent drive.
Fortec’s Edgar more than held her own to claim her first podium with second place, holding the position for the entirety of the race and finishing over three seconds clear of Marzorati. The Hillspeed driver yet again had to drive while keeping several cars behind him, and was just six tenths of a second ahead of Elias Adestam at the chequered flag.
Adestam was in the thick of the battle, with teammate Taylor finishing just 0.225s behind him, and Elite’s Jack Sherwood holding off charging teammate Walker on the run to the line for sixth place.
Race two winner and championship leader Walker said: “It was really good from start to finish. Massive thanks to everyone at Elite as they've worked so hard since Snetterton to get the car right for this weekend and it's shown."
Race three winner Jarrod Waberski said: "I’m really chuffed. The way the weekend started off, to finish with a win is just amazing. I can’t thank the team enough. I think this weekend is a good example of ‘never give up’. We put in good results – a third and a fourth and a win so really chuffed, I couldn’t ask for much better.”
GB4 Championship, partnered by the BRDC, Oulton Park race two top-six:
1. Alex Walker, Elite Motorsport, 12 laps
2. Tom Mills, Kevin Mills Racing, +5.845s
3. Nikolas Taylor, Fortec Motorsport, +7.886s
4. Jarrod Waberski, Kevin Mills Racing, +26.905s
5. Megan Gilkes, Hillspeed, +27.391s
6. Max Marzorati, Hillspeed, +28.584s
Click here for full result
GB4 Championship, partnered by the BRDC, Oulton Park race three top-six:
1. Jarrod Waberski, Kevin Mills Racing
2. Jessica Edgar, Fortec Motorsports, +5.428s
3. Max Marzorati, Hillspeed, +8.974s
4. Elias Adestam, Fortec Motorsports, +9.668s
5. Nikolas Taylor, Fortec Motorsports, +9.893s
6. Jack Sherwood, Elite Motorsport, +13.700s
GB4 Championship, partnered by the BRDC, Championship standings after race six of 24
1. Alex Walker, Elite Motorsport, 159pts
2. Max Marzorati, Hillspeed, 127pts
3. Jarrod Waberski, Kevin Mills Racing, 124pts
4. Nikolas Taylor, Fortec Motorsport, 118pts
5. Tom Mills, Kevin Mills Racing, 115pts
6. Elias Adestam, Fortec Motorsport, 100pts
GB4 Championship, partnered by the BRDC, Teams’ Championship standings after race six of 24
1. Kevin Mills Racing, 239pts
2. Elite Motorsport, 232pts
3. Fortec Motorsport, 221pts
4. Hillspeed, 208pts
5. Graham Brunton Racing, 105pts
6. Rossoverde Racing, 26pts