THE NEC CLASSIC MOTOR SHOW SALE 2022 - Click here for full results and available lots from this auction
Recently serviced and offered in great running and driving order - ready for the S.F Edge Race at Goodwood.
REG NUMBER BS 8280
The pioneer age of motoring was driven by passion, obsession and the need for more speed. The thrill of these new-fangled automobiles drew thousands of people to the roadside - desperate to know the sounds and smells, and to taste the dust which would cling to the air in the wake of these roaring monsters. Their wooden wheels clad in thin rubber bands defied logic and defined a hero-generation in the clouds that erupted as they stormed by.
At this time in history the racetrack hadn’t even been formulated. Organised racing was from town A to town B, and the biggest event was the Gordon Bennett race which attracted the finest racers of the day; a 550km charge across the host nation designed to test driver and car to the limits and beyond. Fernand Charron, a bicycle racer, won the first race in a Panhard, and together with fellow racers Leonce Girardot and Emile Voigt was the driving force behind the world’s first automobile agency established 1898 - Charron, Girardot & Voigt, or CGV
After making a name for themselves on the racing scene and with the re-sale business an outstanding success, the trio embarked on construction their own cars in 1901. The marque quickly gained note in motorsport and passenger car design alike. Heavily influenced by Panhard, CGV developed one of the world's first straight-eight cylinder engines in 1903 (a 7.2-litre racing unit). The underslung front radiator gave the car a distinctive ‘open-mouthed’ look, and the CGV became a household name to those early motor-sport devotees. In 1904 they produced 216 cars, mostly for the wealthy sports-minded enthusiast. Rebranded Automobile Charron in 1906 after a split between the three, the marque continued until 1930.
120 years on, and these cars still draw some of the biggest crowds. Edwardian races at events like Goodwood Members, VSCC and Vintage Revival Montlhery produced the same rapturous delight for onlookers – these monster machines rage past one another in complete denial of their aged years and simple mechanical designs.
BS 8280 was a car restored for this exact reason. When our vendor spotted a 1904 CGV chassis, axles and gear box in an auction during the 1980s, he couldn’t resist. Over the next decade much research was carried out and that knowledge then invested into restoring the CGV. On the 9th of June 1998, the CGV was completed and registered. The superb Edwardian racer was styled on the 1905 100hp Grand Prix CGV. BS 8280 is an inspired example of the CGV marque restored using the original parts purchased, and comes fitted with a Simplex four-cylinder engine. The Simplex 10-litre engine was fitted to illustrate the correct engine appearance and style of the types fitted to the CGV in period. Excitingly after much searching an original 1904 4.5-litre CGV engine was found in France and purchased - it was then fully restored, but as-yet unused. Should the original engine be refitted to the car, and subject to Veteran Car Club Dating , this would make an exciting and fast London to Brighton Run competitor.
Since completion, this dramatic, fire breathing car has competed in multiple circuit events as well as numerous road trips across Europe and the United Kingdom. The decision to replace the front wheels, updating the wooden frames to Aluminium, was made following a couple of spectacular failures over the years, offering peace of mind and making the car more usable.